Hey dear readers!
Hmmmmmmm….wonder if that title is cryptic enough…
It was ‘meh’ and the fit wasn’t so hot. Upon searching for ways to prevent the neckline from gaping so much, I found that it was also a popular MOTB (mother of the bride) dress to make.
Yeah, that was it. Vogue 1182 in the pooper.
But, what shall replace it? I humed and hawed for ages going through my BurdaStyle mags, and collection of print/online patterns again and again. Then I stared at my “Favorite Patterns” board on Pinterest for like an hour.
And then I asked myself, “What do you want to make…like REALLY. What pattern here do you really really love”. The answer was obvious (click on picture to go straight to the pattern)
I love this dress and I love this spread. It’s from BurdaStyle 08/2012 and I keep looking at it over and over again and promising to myself that I’m going to make every last garment because I love all of them. I’ve already made a sleeveless version of the Tuck Dress from this spread and it’s quickly becoming one of my favs.
This is my idea of an LBD. It’s classic, elegant, refined and those lines are sooooooooo beautiful
For more of an evening look, I’m removing the sleeves.
I’m excited about this one…and it’s important to be excited about what you’re making, I think. I’ve gone through quite a few muslins in the past week or so, but I guess that’s what they’re for, eh? If it doesn’t look great and it’s not ‘you’ you don’t have to waste your precious fabric. You can just pour another glass of wine and recompose yourself before you embark on something you feel will be better.
Sometimes you just know it in your soul, though. Like with this pattern. I knew for some reason I kept coming back to it, that there was something about it that I just loved. So, I’m giving in and changing my mind. Muslin HO!
The fit of the top was great…made a 42 and just had to take out the waste by 1cm on each side
I just love the princess seams and especially the lovely neckline – and no gaping! Horrah! I also raised the bottom of the armscye by 2cm because it was designed for a sleeve.
When trying on the skirt and bodice in dependently, both fit really well, but there was a 5.5 cm gap between the two. No biggie since I’m long in the torso and this is often an issue for me.
Well, I’m happy and going to go and make the appropriate changes to my paper pattern so I can get cutting!
I got a fabulous cotton stretch sateen (almost looks like a matte satin!) in a dark dark French navy from Potters that will be perfect for this – as the pattern needs a stretch fabric. Bonus is that it was $8/m AND 50% off! Freaking awesome I say! Many shout outs go to my friend Sarah (who lovingly organizes our BurdaStyle meetup group here in Perth) for accompanying me on a lunch time excursion and bought the same fabric in grey, thus inspiring me to get the navy. Meant to be.
Phew! I’m tired now…especially since it was 42 degrees here in Perth…UGH. Makes muslin fitting even more onerous X-(
I think I’ll take a cool shower or something and have some chocolate ice cream as a reward for all my hard work and perseverance!
Relax and Enjoy,