If you recall from last week, I’ve been designing some dresses from my block. I had such a great experience last time, so I thought I’d do it AGAIN!
I had some luuuurvly linen from Potters here in Perth and just had to use it…summer *is* coming eventually…and when it’s summer in Perth, you know it! Linen is a perfect cloth for summer weather. Yes, yes, it wrinkles but I’ve found if you use a print it is much less noticeable. The best thing about linen is how cooperative it is an how easy it is to sew and press. It shows off design details and seaming beautifully and has a wonderful drape and feel luxurious as a long skirt swishing against the skin..and who doesn’t love that!!!!
If you’d like some hints and tips for working with linen, I came across this fabulous (as usual) article from Susan Khalje, sewing goddess. She also has a fabulous ebook which I highly recommend on sewing linen and cotton, two of the most popular fabrics, so worth looking into.
For this design, I decided to still do a shirt type dress, but with a plunging v-neck and sleeveless and I decided to try shoulder princess seams instead of ones that end at the armscye. I attached an A-line skirt to it. Here’s a selfie so you get an idea…armscyes are not finished and hem is half pinned, so ignore that!
Wrinkles? What wrinkles! I gotta say, I’m loving this silhouette on me!
The thing about making your own patterns is that there is no instruction sheet! You really have to think about how you’re going to construct the garment as you’re designing. I’m learning tonnes as I do this, as you can’t take anything for granted.
For example, I didn’t want to line it, but I wasn’t sure what to do about the princess seams as they are clipped and hard to finish cleanly. So, I made a facing that covered the whole centre front piece. I attached that to an equally wide facing that went all the way down to the hem. I also made a back facing the same width as the shoulder seam. I pressed the princess seams towards the CF and then fell stitched the facings over the seam allowances.
Facings fell stitched to CF seam princess seam allowances.
I finished the rest of the seams with the overlocker (didn’t want too much bulk) and finished the armscye with a bias strip of light cotton
Here she is on Lola! I still need to hem her and put the buttonholes/buttons in.
Phew…I’m bushed. Now I’ve got TWO dresses to photograph on! How fun! I will get to doing it, I promise!!!
Relax and Enjoy,