Hello dear readers!
If you recall, I’m making a dress for the Belinda Carslile concert in November! I made a boned bodice and stuff, but alas…
Not quite 100% pleased.
I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I kept trying it on and trying to like it, but just…didn’t, you know? Do you ever get that when you try something on and are just like, “Meh, I *want* to like this, but I just don’t!”.
Like I said before, I couldn’t quite identify the problem exactly, so I went through photos of old projects looking for some hint as to what the problem may be. I came across the piccies from my Bombshell dress and it hit me. I remember having a hard time with that one and not being really pleased with the result…mostly because of the bustier top.
I just don’t think they’re flattering on me, and I’m not really comfortable in them (most importantly!!).
So, I reinvented the silhouette completely. I wanted a deep V with a cross over top and empire waist. I still wanted a draped bodice and I knew it would look really nice with this type of silhouette…somewhat Greek goddess, ya know?
Oh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about….
God, now I can’t get Vanna White out of my head :-S
So, I drafted a new base layer…no boning, much softer but still structured so it would support the lucious rayon challis I bought
Sorry about the totally shit selfie, but I just wanted to get across the point that it has a V back as well…but not as deep as the front, or else you need harnesses and stuff to keep the shoulders up…and let’s not go there….
I’m much happier with this look…yay.
I wanted to add structure and support to the neckline, so I stitched a 1.5cm wide strip of grosgrain to the neck line edges front and back. I also finished the armscyes with bias binding.
I also added a strip of silk organza at the CB seam to support the zip
So after fondling my rayon challis for an inappropriate amount of time, I started to drape.
I seriously don’t know what I’m doing, folks. I just played with the fabric and pinned until it looked good. Seriously, that’s it…not much of a tute, but it’s the truth!
And this is what I ended up with…HOLA VENUS!
I then hand basted the rayon to the base layer and trimmed off the bottom bits…
I’m MUCH happier with this, ladies and gents!
Although I’m not nearly as good as a professional couturier, I really did feel the vibe with the draping and hand basting I did today. I can see why garments like this are hand sewn…it just makes sense.
I must say I’m really enjoying this “figure it out as you go” sewing. I get to decide how I construct the garment and do stuff that I think will work for any given situation. Some stuff works, some doesn’t, but it’s innovation baby! (well it is for me anyways)
It’s not so much a ‘do things in proper order’ sewing, more like ‘just do what works’ and I kinda like it.
Next is attaching a band at the bottom of the bodice to enclose the raw edges. I then want to draft a long maxi circle skirt and attach that to the bodice.
I’m also in the middle of lining and haven’t taken piccies of that yet, so that’s for another postie.
Hope you enjoyed my adventure!
Till next time!
Relax and enjoy,